Sunday, January 22, 2006

33 years

I wasn't going to do this because I thought it was "too political" and someone might be offended. But then I realized that now I'm a mother, almost everything is political, and I can't worry too much about offending people. I mean, some people are offended by things like wearing pink + red together. Which is silly, but besides the point.

So I'm lending my little blog to the cause because I believe that having reproductive freedom is one of the most critical freedoms a woman can have. Today is the 33rd anniversary of Roe v. Wade - yay! Which means my generation hasn't had to worry too much about our reproductive rights. However, more + more of those rights are being taken away in various sneaky and slimy ways. I am determined not to let those rights be stolen or diminished; I do not want my daughter's freedoms taken away before she even knows what they are.

If Leah decides to have a child, it should be a joyous event for her, not obligation or punishment. So I will work to make sure our government supports women in all ways, not just the ones that make hypocritical politicians look good to their $campaign $contributors.

No comments: